Wednesday 11 November 2015

Remembering

I don't go in for national pride and all that sort of stuff. I'm not a bit patriotic. Armistice day is something different though. I think of all the people who have died because of war. There are the servicemen and women who died in battle, and those who died at a later date because of health problems cased by the injuries they had sustained. There are the civilians who got caught up in the fighting. There are the civilians who were considered subhuman and exterminated.
When I think of the First World War, I always think how unnecessary it all was. It was a family feud between the royal families of Europe, and was all because of empire building and territory. A whole generation of young men were called up to serve for God, King and country, and were used as cannon fodder by the aristocracy. It's shameful.

No comments:

Post a Comment