Tuesday 24 November 2015

Thoughts

I've just been outside for another fag and blimey it's getting cold! I don't know why but I got thinking of Christmas. I also started thinking about the homeless woman I came across in the High Street the other day.
We are soon to witness the annual Rounding Up Of The Destitute ritual, where the homeless are kept warm and fed for a couple of days. For me it's quite disgraceful, and nothing more than an opportunity for the better-off classes to make a display of being benevolent towards the less fortunate. It's that time in the year when the comfortably-off can congratulate themselves for being so bountiful, and to ease their consciences by this act of Christian charity.
I find it unbelievably cruel that this is done to some of the most vulnerable people in our society, in the full knowledge that they will be unceremoniously bundled back out onto the streets to fend for themselves a day or two later. Surely what the homeless really need is to be helped back into a decent life off the streets, rather than an annual helping of religious hypocrisy. The benevolent have nothing they should feel smug about.

No comments:

Post a Comment