Monday 9 November 2015

A musical interlude

I take a scholarly approach to playing. Anything I play is informed by extensive study of the performance practice of the period when the piece was composed . On a good day I can play surprisingly well, although not so well as I used to. Yesterday I gave a very good account of movements from Mozart's K332 and K333. There is no emotional attachment with the music. The music was not intended to be an emotional experience. It's a product of the enlightenment, so it is rational, formal and with clear rules, conventions, structure, architecture. I approach Mozart from that standpoint, and play him with the wisdom of CPE Bach's Versuch (uber die wahre Art das Klavier zu spielen), written in 1753, and first-hand accounts of how Mozart himself played his music. Far from the lavish, sentimental phrasing of the 19th Century, I adopt the comparatively 'choppy' 18th-Century style. Each phrase is presented in turn, and ornamentation is used for expressive effect. Mozart a la Rubinstein just won't do. Well it won't do for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment