Tuesday 19 July 2016

On reflection

I've been thinking about current events. I remember all the stuff we are told constantly about 'British Values'. These are said to include fairness, decency, tolerance and generosity. I think of how the present administration has treated the disabled. I think about the recent referendum, where people voted as a result of prejudice against immigration. I think of the xenophobia that some of the national press whipped up at the time. To me it has been patently obvious for some time, that these 'British Values' are a complete myth. In fact they are a complete load of bollocks.
I am also thinking about the government minister who resigned last week. He made a big point of giving out about his devout Christian morality, while at the same time doing his utmost to punish the disabled. Meanwhile he sits on the board of a mental health charity. That in itself should have brought him down, but it didn't. What brought him down was the scandal of some rather un-Christian, in fact rather unsavoury messages, with which he had been pestering a woman. It is a damning indictment of this country, that a person's sexual pecadillos are considered more important than their aggressive behaviour towards vulnerable people. So much for Christian values. Some people wear them as a mask, but sooner or later the mask is bound to slip.

No comments:

Post a Comment