Monday 6 April 2015

A musical interlude

I've just had the most successful weekend ever, in the music department. People not only enjoyed my harpsichord music as they walked around, but took some time to listen to what I was playing. One man asked me to play some Scarlatti, so I played nothing else until he left. People also enjoyed the Forqueray pieces that I was running through, when I thought there were no visitors in the building.
The pub was a complete revelation to me. The band that was on before me over-ran, so I started half an hour late. There were only two people that I recognised, so I took a deep breath and started playing. It went like a bomb! It was a fantastic night, and what I played was completely driven by the customers. The place was full when I started, and got progressively busier as time went on. Apart from the old-time songs, I played classical pieces, songs from the musicals, and Russian and other folk-songs.  A whole string of people wanted to be photographed with me (gulp! I hate that, but let them). Also, a number of people I didn't recognise came in, because they saw me playing. They said they knew me from when I played at the other establishment. When the landlord arrived at about ten, people were dancing, singing and playing the spoons. He was really pleased, as Sundays are usually quiet there, and he paid me more than I expected. I thoroughly enjoyed the night, and finished playing at about half past eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment