Thursday 30 April 2015

Rhetorically speaking; an autistic point of view

As I walked past the newsagents, I spotted the following headline: 'Why are we all living longer?'
It got me thinking. In the first place I find that particular paper highly offensive. In the second place it's rather a sweeping statement, and therefore open to scrutiny.
I thought of the eight people who were shot to death the day before yesterday. They didn't live longer. I thought of the fifteen senior officials that a dictator had executed because they criticised him. They didn't live longer. I thought of all the people in the world who are on death row. They won't be living any longer. Then I remembered all the atrocities being committed in the Middle East. Many people in that part of the world aren't living any longer.
The headline 'Why are we all living longer?' is therefore both incorrect and misleading. The publication that printed it should be thoroughly ashamed of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment