Tuesday 28 April 2015

The news

The news about the forthcoming mass-executions has made me feel on edge for the past few days. I really have a problem with capital punishment. For example in this country there have been instances of innocent people being executed. Take Timothy Evans. The poor man had mental health issues. He was what we used to call 'backward'. He thought he was trying to help the police, but ended up being convicted of murder. The two issues that arise from this are firstly, innocent people are executed, and secondly, that people with mental health issues are executed.
Execution is not a punishment. It is purely revenge. Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's last state executioner, is quoted as saying this, and I agree with him. Revenge is what happens when emotion, rather than logic, drives the debate. State-instigated revenge surely belongs in the past, to the days of the Old Testament. Revenge is backward-looking, and panders to mankind's basest instincts. And what does a person's legalised murder solve? I can't think of any positive result. All it does is to cause immense pain to the victim's family and loved ones.
My 'aspie' point of view may or may not be out of step with the rest of humanity, but I believe it is wrong to kill another person. Full Stop. It is black and white. Why are governments allowed to give themselves the right to murder? Murder is wrong, whoever does it. It is unforgiveable.
I don't know why I feel so upset about the horror that's about to be committed in Indonesia. I don't know any of the people concerned. I think that what is really affecting me is that it is an injustice. That government is saying that wrong is wrong for the general population, but right for itself. It's a case of 'Don't do as I do. Do as I tell you'. It makes me feel ashamed to be human.

No comments:

Post a Comment