Monday 14 March 2016

Sleep

On Saturday night I listened to some more piano quintets by Boccherini as I went to sleep. I slept very soundly and woke up feeling relaxed.
Last night I turned in to some of Boccherini's string quintets. I didn't sleep so well, and woke up frequently later on in the night. I feel a bit tired today, and my eyes are a bit sore.
I'm really enjoying the Boccherini pieces that I've been listening to. I'd forgotten what a first-rate composer he was. He has his own distinctive style. Sometimes it relies on nothing but texture, and he can be very quirky, but he does sometimes write a good tune. I particularly like his string quintet scoring with its two cellos rather than two violas. It sounds so much more balanced and sonorous than the two viola variety, which sounds too top-heavy to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment