Friday 11 March 2016

During the night

I know why I kept on waking up during the night, because every time I woke up I was deep in thought about the shocking injustice of our present regime. The rich employ chartered accountants to help them salt away things and income, so that they don't have to pay any tax on them. And the sorts of things that are not taxable are expensive things and income, which are beyond the reach of poor people, who pay tax on everything they earn. The system is as loaded against the poor as Nineteenth-Century divorce laws were. In theory anyone could apply for the act of parliament that was required to finalise the marriage. However that cost thousands of pounds at a time when the average labourer's wage was ten shillings (fifty pence in today's money) per week. I cannot reconcile all this tax avoidance with the government's vindictive onslaught on the disabled. It is obscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment