Monday 28 April 2014

The weekend

When I first knew him, I was able to offer support to my brother because I had already experienced many of the issues with which he was trying to cope. Lately he has offered me support by listening to the issues I now have to cope with.

On Friday night I felt uncomfortable with the crowd who were in the pub, so I went outside to sit down. My brother asked me what was wrong. I took his hand and started to speak. Shortly afterwards his partner ran out and ordered me to release his hand and take hers instead. My brother ran inside. I told her I was having one of my spastic moods, and she shouted 'you can't say that'. I insisted that I can call myself whatever I like, so she shouted 'Go and fuck yourself', and ran off to complain to the landlord.

Shortly afterwards my brother came out looking very distressed, and (as ordered, I expect) tried to sell me her side of the story. Of course I couldn't accept it. I had a meltdown and sobbed uncontrollably. Her vindictive cruelty had been well aimed, as she knew the state of my moods from having read my blog.
I went to the pub on Saturday to see how my brother was. He looked terrible, and so did I. The landlady spoke to me and said I wouldn't be served. She asked me to stay away for a while. I said goodbye to my brother on the step, and he looked so terribly sad.
To try and keep the peace I sent an apology to my brother's girlfriend, to which she couldn't even be bothered to reply. Shame on her. I was due the apology.

Yesterday I had coffee with one of my autistic friends, and he was horrified by what I told him. He went and spoke to the landlord, who invited me for a game of scrabble tonight. The landlord was very kind, and understood what had happened. My brother apparently handed in his resignation yesterday. I know he was tired, but he really liked it at the pub. I thought it was my fault, because I had stood up to his partner, but the landlord assured me that it wasn't.

I feel desperately sorry for my brother, for not an ounce of kindness, understanding or warmth will he get from that woman. God help him. She resented that we do understand each other. That is why she was always so spiteful and aggressive towards me. Can higher education teach one how to be a human being?
I know what Aspergers is, and earnestly hope that my brother will realise his full potential. He's such a wonderful and talented bloke. I am so sad that I don't honestly expect to see him ever again. I'm sure she's seen to that.

When I wasn't asleep I spent the whole weekend in tears, believing that everything was my fault. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to be vindicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment