Tuesday 29 April 2014

Aspergers and relationships

I know of at least one aspie who is very happily married with a lovely family. My only relationship was a disaster that lasted for nearly ten years, until he married a rich woman for her money. Let me tell you about the partner.
He was aggressive towards me. God help me if I disagreed. He was a psychological bully who saw that I was vulnerable and exploited it. He was domineering. I was ridiculed in front of people. My own interests and abilities were laughed at. He stole from me. I was terrified of him, and worried about when he was coming home. He didn't like me talking to people and would be horrible to anyone who was friendly to me. He said horrible and untrue things about me to people I knew. He didn't like me going anywhere. He oozed charm in public. Later, my family told me that they detested him and were nice to him for my sake. I was convinced that I loved him. I was also convinced that I was worthless and that no-one else would want me. With hindsight, it is Aspergers that kept me in that relationship. You thrive on routine and find change extremely challenging.
I know of at least one aspie who has experienced many of these things either now or in a previous relationship. How many more people go through all that, but are unable to free themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment