Wednesday 17 February 2016

Good news

Let me tell you now what I've had on my mind. A few weeks ago on the way to the historic building where I play, I was handed a huge fine for an alleged littering offence. I did not know that what I had done was wrong. Of course the thing I knew was wrong I didn't do. The officer took no notice of my explanation, saying that if I disagreed with the fine then I can contest it in court. The officer should have made allowance for my autism. I cannot be expected to read between the lines. I am unable to do so. I found the situation completely overwhelming and was unable to complete my shift that morning. I've also been worried sick about it ever since. I told my social worker about it. He has some legal knowledge and said he thought the fine was illegal. The man has pursued this vigourously in writing on my behalf, with the result that the council has written to me saying that the fine should not have been issued, and that it had been withdrawn. I now realise too that what I had experienced was in fact direct discrimination, and if the case had gone to court, the officer's behaviour would have shown the council in a very bad light. I am so relieved that this business is over and done with at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment