Friday 19 February 2016

A good story

I really love Charles Dickens' stories. I've never read one cos I don't have the imagination to visualise novels. I really can't do fiction. I can never remember what's going on. The acted versions are really enjoyable though. I enjoyed Nicholas Nickleby last night. So many of Dickens' stories seem to involve a Victorian stereotype, that of a very poor, weak and innocent child, whose health is poor and who always dies (for example Smike in last night's story and Little Nell in The Old Curiosity Shop). The various strands of the story all come together in the final chapter of the story. The bad always get their come-uppance and the good go on to good fortune. That is because it is fiction. I particularly liked the evil uncle Ralph (pronounced Ralf, not Raif) Nickleby, who hangs himself at the end of the story. That was a brilliant bit of acting. I don't think I've ever seen anyone deader.

No comments:

Post a Comment