Tuesday 16 February 2016

A couple of things

I've checked the historic building's social media page. A fortnight ago the posts were reaching about fifteen to twenty recipients per week, with a handful of 'hits'. This week we have reached nearly 2100 people and had nearly 230 'hits'. I'm really in my element too, what with the social history. I'm evidently producing exactly the sort of articles that people want to read.
When I play on Sunday nights I often see an alcoholic gentleman walking around. Some people tolerate him. Others treat him as a nuisance. Others are kind to him. Whenever I see him I go and talk to him, and will give him a fag if I have enough tobacco. I can't always understand what he is saying, as his speech becomes quite incoherent when he's had a drop. He always shakes my hand, and he is invariably freezing cold although he says he doesn't feel it. He calls me 'the organist' and confuses me with someone who was a big name here about twenty years ago. I am conscious of his underlying mental health problems, and I can't find it in my heart to turn him away. There is enough nastiness in the world as it is, without me adding to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment