Friday 13 March 2015

A musical interlude

Yesterday I found myself thinking about when I play pub songs and when I play classical. It dawned on me that I receive two different sorts of treatment. When I play classical music I am treated seriously, and with respect. People choose to come and listen to the things I play. When I play pub songs I am not treated seriously. What I do doesn't seem to particularly matter.
People probably don't realise that I find them equally difficult to play. Although the classical pieces are technically much more difficult than the songs, they require an equal intensity of concentration on my part. I necessarily use more force when playing pub songs than when playing classical, and this becomes very tiring for the fingers, hands and wrists.
I know that classical pieces are what I really enjoy playing. I hope that bookings will come as a result of the event I'm playing at in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment