Tuesday 31 March 2015

Class

Queen Victoria presented her family to the nation as being middle class. Last night's documentary set my mind racing. When I was very small I asked my dad what class we were. He said we were working class, and proud of it. I didn't understand then and don't understand now. I certainly can't be proud of servility, deference and a willingness to be exploited. If he was proud if that, then he's a bigger idiot than he appears.
My interests might be described as middle class. That really offends me. Middle class to me signifies a comfortable smugness, an indifference to those less fortunate, snobbery, and an overbearing materialism, and Daily Mail attitudes.
We still have some vestiges of the class system in this country, but I refuse to wear someone else's labels. The whole idea is crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment