Dear old Isobel II (1830-1904) of Spain. She became queen on the death of her father Fernando VII in 1833. Fernando was despotic and reactionary, and Isobel was her father's daughter, whose rule was maintained only by the support of the army. When Isobel reached the age of majority her regime was completely decadent. Indeed the old girl had great difficulty in keeping her drawers up. Anyway they booted her out in 1868 before she formally abdicated in 1870, and the Vanity Fair cartoon captures that moment.
I have chosen three photos of Isobel, which show her in exile in Paris. I am delighted to see that she did everything in her power to preserve those youthful good looks, that dainty figure, those deliciously puddeny fingers, and that sweetness of countenance. I see in the third photo that the old brass seems to have swapped a few chins for a neck. Hope you enjoy the abdication song.




No comments:
Post a Comment