Wednesday 28 September 2016

Autism stuff

Two things are playing on my mind, both of which concern people's cruelty to others. The first story is that of an autistic kid, who was treated in such a way as to humiliate him in front of his class. To me this is both horrible and unforgivable. Life can be very hard for those of us who are 'different', where we are expected to comply with totally inflexible rules which are suited to 'ordinary' people but are completely alien to our way of thinking. This system has caused untold suffering to those of us who don't quite fit in.
The second thing that has disturbed me is one of those horrible mobile phone videos of somebody being bullied. I saw it on social media and wish I hadn't. I suffered terribly from bullying throughout my childhood, and the bullying continued into adulthood. This is apparently a common experience for autistic people. The childhood bullying is a mixture of fists and cruel words, whereas the adult bullying tends to be of the psychological sort. How anybody with an ounce of humanity can find any enjoyment in the suffering of others is beyond me. It leaves me feeling quite shaken, and brings back some terrifying memories from my distant past.

No comments:

Post a Comment