Wednesday 3 January 2018

The new year

The dawning of the year 2018 was a non-event for me, as new years generally are. On new year's eve I watched a melodrama or two, and turned in nice and early.
On New Year's morning I had the idea to take myself to the historic building to do some practice for my forthcoming recital. There were no buses, so I took the five-mile scenic walk along the coast. The sea was silvery and calm, although it was still quite cold. The first four-fifths of the walk was very peaceful and enjoyable. The last mile, though, was infested with dogs and their owners, so was anything but peaceful. You should have seen the cretins shouting to their dogs, which on the whole didn't take the blindest bit of notice. Then there was the pointless barking fits. Then there was the spectacle of the dear little animals emptying their bowels all over the promenade. And then there was the bit where they run past you, almost touching you as they pass, and cutting in front of you at every few steps. I don't understand what is supposed to be enjoyable about the dog thing. If people want to go for walks, do they really need a dog just for that?
I had almost lost the will to go on by the time I reached the historic building. The desire to practice had already deserted me, so I went online instead and redesigned (and ordered) my business cards. The long walk, then, wasn't completely wasted.
Afterwards I made my way through the pouring rain to the railway station, and took the easy way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment